- Interesting article by Dr. Robert Moss called the Hippocampus and Memory https://www.thescienceofpsychotherapy.com/the-hippocampus-and-memory-the-binding-of-parallel-cortical-circuits/ where he talks about how the hippocampus is involved in the facilitating of memory storage in cortical columns.
- By increasing the excitability of a subpopulation of “defective” inhibitory neurons, researchers at the University of Geneva could restore the synchronization of neural networks in the hippocampus, and able to suppress certain behavioural symptoms associated with schizophrenia. https://www.thescienceofpsychotherapy.com/resynchronizing-neurons-to-erase-schizophrenia/
- Another recent study has found certain cells in the hippocampus fire when we are anxious (or is it that they fire and we become anxious?), https://www.thescienceofpsychotherapy.com/anxiety-cells-identified-brains-hippocampus/ so we have the hippocampus playing a role in regulating emotions – we know the ventral part of the hippocampus can also down regulate anxiety. “By turning the anxiety cells off and on using a technique called optogenetics that allows scientists to control the activity of neurons using beams of light, the researchers found that the anxiety cells control anxiety behaviors. When the cells were silenced, the mice stopped producing fear-related behaviors, wandering onto elevated platforms and away from protective walls. When the anxiety cells were stimulated, the mice exhibited more fear behaviors even when they were in “safe” surroundings.”
- Here’s something we didn’t get to touch on in the podcast but very interesting nevertheless – Adult human brains don’t grow new neurons in hippocampus, contrary to prevailing view > https://www.thescienceofpsychotherapy.com/adult-human-brains-dont-grow-new-neurons-hippocampus-contrary-prevailing-view/
2. What is the function of Mirror Neurons when we analyse art?
Thanks for listening!
Please leave an honest review on iTunes and please subscribe to our show.
You can also find our podcast at: The Science of Psychotherapy Podcast Homepage
If you want more great science of Psychotherapy please visit our website thescienceofpsychotherapy.com